Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

My duaghter turned 18 in December 2007. She lives at home ...

My duaghter turned 18 in December 2007. She lives at home with me and is a full time high school senior. Unpon truning 18 her father discontinued her child support. It seems unfair, since she is still in high school and dependent on our mutual financial support. Any hopes of having the child support extended until she is 19?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
The law in Florida states that if the child is still in highschool upon turning 18, that support continues until she is 19. So if he has just discontinued paying support without filing for modification, you need to consult with your Department of Revenue to enforce the orders until the age of 19.

In addition he canno automatically discontinue support unless his support orders specifically state that support ends automatically. In general, he needs to seek court approval terminating support.

Below is the Florida statute which regulates when support ends.

743.07 Rights, privileges, and obligations of persons 18 years of age or older.--

(1) The disability of nonage is hereby removed for all persons in this state who are 18 years of age or older, and they shall enjoy and suffer the rights, privileges, and obligations of all persons 21 years of age or older except as otherwise excluded by the State Constitution immediately preceding the effective date of this section and except as otherwise provided in the Beverage Law.

(2) This section shall not prohibit any court of competent jurisdiction from requiring support for a dependent person beyond the age of 18 years when such dependency is because of a mental or physical incapacity which began prior to such person reaching majority or if the person is dependent in fact, is between the ages of 18 and 19, and is still in high school, performing in good faith with a reasonable expectation of graduation before the age of 19.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator