Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

child support and arrears

i owe my ex wife $3883 in arrears for a loop hole she found in the child support system. when made aware of it i made a payment arrangement with css. i pay all my support on time and have never been late. now she has intercepted mt fed and state tax refund. can she do this? will she get all of it or just a portion?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately yes she can intercept your state and federal tax refund. This is an allowed practice by the State of California to enforce collection of child support even though you have already set up a payment plan. The entire amount can be collected to satisfy the debt but any overpayment should be refunded back to you. If your refunds pays off the arrears, make sure that CSS is no longer garnishing or seeking further payments from you for these arrears.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.