Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.

5 years ago i made a choice to leave my then 4 year old ...

Customer Question

5 years ago i made a choice to leave my then 4 year old child in the care of my grandma. Because of instabilty of my finiancial situation she was granted temporary custody. I never pursued the the matter any further. he has remained with her since then, in the hopes that she would see how much i''ve grown up and would then decide it was time for him to live with me. that time has never came and i tried to ask her to make joint custody legal and he remain at your home, as to not disrupt his life there. he has always come with me every other weekend. But she won''t agree to finalizing the agreement. what can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

You will want to petition the courts for custody based on the best interest of the child. I would advise you to hire a lawyer as they can get a emergency hearing in quickly and see if the judge will grant you custody based on the living arrangements of the child.

If this is not a possibility to hire a lawyer you will need to fill out the forms at the following link: Divorce Source: State Specific - Modification Forms for Custody ... Fill them out completely and submit them to your local clerk of courts office with the filing fee's. The clerk will help you get the paperwork needed to serve the grandmother and will set up a hearing for a temporary custody order. Once that is granted the courts will set up a home study and if you are approved it will go back to court for a final order.

I wish you the best,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
please read my question and take time to give my better infomation about child abandonment laws in kentucky and time length in temp custody . any questions you can email me with an indivualized answer