Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

My daughter has been living with her boyfriend in L.A. for ...

My daughter has been living with her boyfriend in L.A. for 18 mos. She is an R.N. and he is in the music industry. He wants to terminate their relationship. They have shared all expenses. She has a 2-yr. contact with Cedar Sinai that will not be over until Aug.2008. Does she have any rights to be considered? He is on her insurance plan.   He travels constantly with artist like Ozzie, Seal, Hannah Montana, to name a few. While he is gone, she takes care of his 2 dogs, a greyhound and a border collie. We are from Arkansas and he was the one that persueded her to move to L.A. to basically follow "his" dream and a share the expenses. I think he made $450,000.00 last year. He was home about 2 months last year.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
1) Are you asking whether their relationship can be considered a common law relationship?

2) Did the relationship begin in Louisiana (L.A.)?

3) How was she able to get him on to her insurance plan?

4) Not understanding your question about the two-year contract with Cedar Sinai?

5) Not understanding what you mean about "Does she have any rights to be considered"?

6) As to the dogs? Who purchased the dogs and is there proof of purchase?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My question was if she had any grounds legally. They had talked of marriage and basically, he has "dumped" her before her 2-year commitment with Cedar Sinai is over. Their relationship started in Arkansas. They live in Los Angeles (L.A.) She got him on her insurance plan at the hospital. With alternative lifestyles so common in California, several programs like that are available. My point about the dogs is thay they are his pets(had them before relationship) and she tends to them while he is gone (they are inside dogs) which she hates (but that is not the main jest of my questions. She also has sold her car (at his recommendation) and he has bought a BMW- 5-speed, two-seater. In the 18 mos. they have been there he has bought a motorcycle,a $10,000.00 piano, an antique keyboard, once owned by Jimmy Hendrix or somebody and now, the sportscar.   My main question is does she need to consult an attorney for legal advise, since she is basically "stuck" in California until Aug. 2008. Her contract with Cedar Sinai was for 2-yrs that will over in August. The hospital paid her $3000.00 in travel expenses to come to California. If she was to break the contract,she would have to pay back the money per ratio. I think I have answered all the questions above. Thanks!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not received a reply as of 4 p.m. cst 02-03-08
Thank you Customer for your clarification and response to my questions.

Unfortunately the answer is not good. She has no recourse against him for making the commitment to move to California. In California actions for "breach of promise" do not exist as the law is clear that unmarried couples are free to decide whether they want to follow their partner and engage in a married life understanding that there is no rights under common law marriage and there are no rights to force someone to commit to a relationship they no longer wish to pursue.

In California only those who have entered into partnership or written agreements would be able to enforce their claims under the breach of contract theory.

As to the contract with Cedar Sinai, she has no claims against him for this as this is something she voluntarily decided to do on her own. The contract with Cedar Sinai is legally binding and enforcible. If your daughter does not want to pay the travel expenses, she is stuck in California until August.

As to his purchases, if she made any contributions towards the motorcycle, piano, keyboard and sports car, then she would be entitled to seek reimbursement for her contributions to these items. If these where things he purchased on his own, she has no recourse.

As to the dogs. She can seek restitution for the money and time spent on taking care of his dogs. She would be able to sue in order to recover the expense she has incurred in having to care and feed these dogs. She can also charge the common rate for "dog watchers" in the area.

As to her vehicle. If she kept the proceeds from selling her car, then she has no lawsuit against him. If he took her proceeds, then she can sue him for reimbursement of that amount. There would be no cause of action merely because he recommended that she sell the car, as it was up to her to sell it or not.

I believe I have covered all your issues, if not please let me know. Thanks.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
I just noticed you posted asking for a response, while I was typing my answer. In case you did not see my answer, here it is again.