How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 62 year old grandmother and have always had a very ...

Resolved Question:

I am a 62 year old grandmother and have always had a very strong bond and relationship with my grandchildren, since birth. The little boy is 7 and twin girls are 5 1/2. Since my daughter left their father he will not let me pick up the children for visits like I always did before the separation. He is a very spiteful and vengeful person. He even tears up the greeting cards that I send them. In 2002 I got a dui after having a couple of drinks with friends. My driving record has been pristine since then. We go to court on February 20 and I know he is going to trash me. Everything is fine with my daughter. Before I was able to pick up the children all the time and take them places and they were always spending the night. Everything was just fine until the separation last May. Now the father has turned into a jerk. He ought to be kissing my feet because I am so good to his children.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.

1) What is your question please?

2) You say he will trash you? On what other grounds do you believe he would attack your character besides the DUI that happened 5/6 years ago?

3) How often did you see your grandchildren and how often did they spend the time with you?

4) Are you mentally and physically visit to carry on a visitation with your grandchildren?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there is absolutely nothing he could come up with about my character. i saw my grandchildren every week and they took turns spending the night with me about every other week-end. i am very mentally and physically able to carry on visitation and always have been.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank youCustomerfor your reply to my questions.

I am assuming you are asking what your chances are for visitation, as you have not specified your question?

The courts in Virginia award visitation rights if it is evident that the grandparent has established a loving bond and relationship with their grandchildren, are able to foster the well-being and best interests of the children. Your DUI history would not be persuasive here as this incident happened 5 or 6 years ago and you have no other criminal history. Instead, the court will mainly be focused on whether you are able; given your age, mental and physical capacity be able to handle a visitation with three very young. The children.

As you are the petitioner for the visitation, you bear the burden to establish the relationship you have had with them throughout this time, that you do not pose a risk of harm, negligence or abuse if they visit with you and that you do not have any issues that are mentally or physically impairing your ability to take the children for a visit. Your daughter's consent will also enhance your visitation request.

Based on the information you have posted here, I doubt you would be denied visitation. You have the support of the mother, you are mentally and physically fit, you have evidence that you have established a bond and relationship with the children. If his only way to "trash you" will be an incident of the DUI which happened years ago, I don't think he would have a case to deny you visitation rights as there is no evidence that you have a drinking problem. Your DUI was a mistake, that you have never repeated and this happened at least 6 years ago, so it should be an irrelevant issue as there is no showing of a current risk of harm to protect the children.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Attorney & Mediator and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
I have answered your question, please let me know if you need further help here. Thanks.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions