dkennedy, Attorney at Law
Experience:  JD Degree, Social Service Experience, Child Support Officer

My father passed away in December and did have a will.

My father passed away in December and did have a will. However, all assets were in both my parents name, and I, as their only child, was also listed on everything except their property deed. Is it necessary for us to have an attorney or is there something legally that needs to be done even though my mother is already named on all assets?? My mother cannot really afford to pay an attorney if it is not aboslutely necessary. Thank you for any information you can provide.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.

If all of your father's assets were also in your mother's name, I don't see any need to have to spend a lot of money. For instance, if the house was deeded to them both as "joint tenants" it entirely belongs to your mother now. If the bank accounts were joint---same thing.

I would suggest, however, that a lawyer be consulted merely to make a quick check that everything is all right, and to get the deed in order, and make sure that all the "loose ends" are tied up. It would likely be very inexpensive and save a ton of trouble in the long run. It would likely not be a problem immediately, but some time in the near future, certain things would have to be taken care of.

I hope this answers your question. If so, click on Accept so that I can get credit for my work.