Experience:  Information provided is for entertainment puposes only and is NOT legal advice.

I rent a single family home in California. There is no ...

Customer Question

I rent a single family home in California. There is no telephone line to the home. Isn't the landlord responsible for providing a working telephone line? I don't expect them to pay for my phone service, of course, but do I have to pay to have the wiring brought into the house from the street?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NOT LEGAL ADVICE! replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Generally speaking, a landlord is required to provide a tenant with a safe and habitable dwelling. Unfortunately, these terms are open to quite a bit of subjective interpretation. In most situations, "habitable" means that the property is protected from the elements is free from hazards, and has heat and hot water. There is no specific legal requirement that a landlord must provide telephone wiring to a home. However, because telephone wiring would be of added value to the home, you may want to negotiate with the landlord to split the fees equitably.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Please remember to click "ACCEPT."
This is the ONLY way I am paid for my efforts.
POSITIVE FEEDBACK is appreciated and reciprocated.

All of my BONUS earnings will be DONATED to:

The Breast Cancer Alliance United to Support and Educate (BCAUSE) and PAWS; a non-profit organization which provides essential services to assist the low-income elderly, chronically ill and disabled in keeping their companion animals.

Thank you for your support of these CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS!

Disclaimer: Any information given by me is for informational use only and is not legal advice. This is general information and is not intended to be specifically tailored to an individual. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek legal counsel in their jurisdiction for accurate guidance regarding their individual circumstances.