Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

My son lived with a woman 12 years ago. She had a baby

My son lived with a woman 12 years ago. She had a baby during this time but not my sons. He did sign the birth certificate. Now the woman is wanting child support. My son knows who the father is. Who is responsible and what should my son do/
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Your son would be responsible because his name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate. He would be considered the alleged or putative father. Since your son knows who the father is, he needs to petition the court for paternity testing to disprove that he is the father. He will then need to bring the father to court to be responsible for child support.

He will need a lawyer as he may need to join the father in the mother's petition for child support against him.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i DON'T UNDERSTAND "HE MAY NEED TO JOIN THE FATHER IN THE MOTHER'S PETITION FOR CHILD SUPPORT AGAINST HIM"
Thank you for your response. Sorry if I was not clear.

The mother will be filing for child support against your son.

Your son needs to contest paternity.

If your son is found not to be the father, the mother will then have to file for child support against the biological father.

Your son will need to make sure that the biological father's contact information is given to the court in order to have the biological father come to court to establish paternity.