Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
7902899

My son is 18 years old and still remains a full time

My son is 18 years old and still remains a full time student. His mother currently receives the child support check from me but will not use is for his expenses but instead uses it to pay for her car and such. Can I make the child support payments directly to him so he can use the money for himself since it is supposed to be used for his expensed and such? He lives in NY with his mother in my parents two family home and I live in NC. If this is allowed by law I would much rather he receive the money directly so he can pay for his needs rather that his mother paying for her needs.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 8 years ago.

To get this accomplished, you will need to file a petition to modify child support with the court that originally set the order.

Ask in this petition that the money be able to be sent directly to your son since the mother is not using this money towards his expenses.

I hope this helps! If this has helped, please accept so that I may continue to help others as well.

Jennifer