Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

What legal steps do I take if alimony checks by court

My ex-husband was court ordered to pay $250.00.He just paid $150.00.He said he didn''t have it because work hours were cut.Yet he just bought a $10,000 motor home.He is remarried.She works.He works on additional side jobs.
1) Was this a court order for child support or spousal support?

2) What state issued the orders? How long ago were the orders issued?

3) Is the ex-still living in the same state the orders where issued?

4) Are you asking how to enforce the orders?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: spousal support
North Carolina
Thank you for your replyCustomer

Two more questions...

1) How long was these court orders in place?

2) Can you tell me if there is also an order for him to pay child support? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2) no
Glad to hear back from youCustomer

To enforce spousal support you need to file a motion for contempt (also called an order to show cause). In this motion your state the existence of the terms of your support order and how he has failed to comply with the orders. You also mention evidence that he has sufficient income if he can afford to purchase a $10,000.00 motor home. The judge will ask him to produce his financial statements to see where his income is coming. His spouse is not required to pay his support order, but if his odd jobs are making sufficient amount to pay the total $250.00 he should be paying that amount.

To get this started you need to go back to the court clerk where your original orders where filed an ask for the motion for contempt or motion to show cause forms. In general these are not fill in the blank forms, but rather you will be required to prepare a history of the events to show how he has failed to comply. So if the court clerk does not have these forms, check with your local law library for assistance and in the alternative have a lawyer draft these for you.

It is clear that he is in contempt of the court orders, so you need to proceed with getting this addressed at court as stated above.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank-you for my answer.It surely puts me in the right direction.My records show payment for your service has been paid on 2/02/2008.Again,Thank-you.                                     &n bsp;                                      Cheryl Simmons