How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator , Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What legal steps do I take if alimony checks by court

Customer Question

My ex-husband was court ordered to pay $250.00.He just paid $150.00.He said he didn''t have it because work hours were cut.Yet he just bought a $10,000 motor home.He is remarried.She works.He works on additional side jobs.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
1) Was this a court order for child support or spousal support?

2) What state issued the orders? How long ago were the orders issued?

3) Is the ex-still living in the same state the orders where issued?

4) Are you asking how to enforce the orders?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: spousal support
North Carolina
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your replyCustomer

Two more questions...

1) How long was these court orders in place?

2) Can you tell me if there is also an order for him to pay child support? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2) no
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Glad to hear back from youCustomer

To enforce spousal support you need to file a motion for contempt (also called an order to show cause). In this motion your state the existence of the terms of your support order and how he has failed to comply with the orders. You also mention evidence that he has sufficient income if he can afford to purchase a $10,000.00 motor home. The judge will ask him to produce his financial statements to see where his income is coming. His spouse is not required to pay his support order, but if his odd jobs are making sufficient amount to pay the total $250.00 he should be paying that amount.

To get this started you need to go back to the court clerk where your original orders where filed an ask for the motion for contempt or motion to show cause forms. In general these are not fill in the blank forms, but rather you will be required to prepare a history of the events to show how he has failed to comply. So if the court clerk does not have these forms, check with your local law library for assistance and in the alternative have a lawyer draft these for you.

It is clear that he is in contempt of the court orders, so you need to proceed with getting this addressed at court as stated above.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank-you for my answer.It surely puts me in the right direction.My records show payment for your service has been paid on 2/02/2008.Again,Thank-you.                                     &n bsp;                                      Cheryl Simmons

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: