Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I filed for divorce in Utah on 1/25/08. My husband ...

I filed for divorce in Utah on 1/25/08. My husband filed for an annulment in California a week later. I serve him papers with an "Acceptance of Service" believing we were in agreement over this, and he is having me served through a U.S. Marshall. He has not returned my papers, and I am thinking of sending them certified mail this week. My question is this: which of our filings will take precedence? I think it is the earliest filing, which is mine, here in Utah.
Yes, your divorce will have priority as you filed first. If he attempts to push his petition you can request the court to dismiss it on the grounds that proper jurisdiction for the divorce is now in Utah and you can present evidence of the date you filed your divorce petition.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.