How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get a restraining order against my wife

Resolved Question:

My wife''s alcoholism is out of control. She constantly drinks around the children, drinks and drives, breastfeeds directly after drinking and so on. I have tried to help her. She has quit AA and she only went to marriage counseling because I made her. She seemingly has no desire to help herself.
        The other day she bought a large bottle of Vodka at 3 AM before passing out she hid the 3/4 full bottle in the undercarriage of the oven where the pilot light and flames that heat the oven are. The next day I unknowingly almost killed me and my 3 children while cooking dinner. Somehow the bottle stayed intact though it looked like it was very close to exploding or melting. I can only imagine what would have happened if it had. I have nowhere to take my children but need to protect them. Should I start with a restraining order and if so how do I go about it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Has there every been any pattern of domestic violence, abuse towards you or the children?

The last time the mother was under the influence, does she act aggressive, abusive or destructive?

Do you believe it is time for you to end the marriage?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: She is not violent but definitely very verbally abusive towards me and the children. She has gotten severely drunk while watching the children when I was at work on many occasions. Sometimes to the point where she cant walk. Often in the middle of the afternoon.

      A few weeks ago after she had finished her 1.5 liter of red wine, she woke all the kids up in the middle of the night to go get a 12 pack of Heineken.   She parked the car down the street from our house, sat in the car with the kids drinking beer, and waited for me to come home so she could see my reaction when I realized my kids were gone.    This is just one example but there are many stories like these.

     I have seen her through rehab,in and out of AA, been to marriage counseling and even had a breathalyser on my car for two years. I have given up on her and only want what is best for my children. I absolutely believe it is time for this marriage to end.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Thank youCustomerfor your reply and response to my information request.

I am very sorry to hear what you and your children are going through. This can be a very difficult and tiring time for you all.

To answer your question. Nevada requires an element of domestic violence before you have the legal standing to obtain a restraining order. In Nevada, domestic violence is defined as follows:

What is the legal definition of domestic violence in Nevada?

Domestic violence includes:

  • Acts of physical violence (slapping, punching, choking, etc.)
  • Threatening, coercive or harassing conduct
  • Interference with the personal liberty of the victim
  • Forcible entry into the victim’s residence without victim’s consent
  • Arson
  • Trespassing
  • Larceny
  • Destruction of private property
  • Carrying a concealed weapon without a permit
  • False imprisonment
  • Sexual assault
  • Stalking

So absent any such behavior as required by the Nevada Statute you will not be able to get a restraining order.

So the restraining order at the present time is not a legal option you can exercise. If she were to engage in any behavior as defined as domestic violence then you would be able to proceed with getting the restraining order. Unfortunately her behavior does not amount to the definition to qualify for the protective order. You do have the option of pressing charges for the driving under the influence with your children in the vehicle and then request a criminal no contact order this way. However, if this event happened a few weeks ago, the evidence to charge her with the criminal offense are murky,

Now I asked whether you were ready to file for divorce or legal separation, because you are given the opportunity to make the request that she be ordered out of the house, through the petition. In addition as she lacks the ability to parent your children, you can seek sole custody of your children.

Unfortunately these are your legal options at the present time.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions