Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.
7902899

my mom passed away and I had been living with her past 8 ...

Customer Question

my mom passed away and I had been living with her past 8 years as she was chronically ill. My older sister had been selected executor in her will. There are five adult children and her will says split estate by 5 ways to all kids. I had worked at a retail store and my mom had used my employee discount to buy a lift chair and a tempurpedic bed. She stated she wanted me to keep items in the event of her death. I have the bill of sale for both items which is in my name. My sister is arguing that i have no right to these items. Can I just remove the items from the property, i have choosen to move due to the added stress of her uncooperative attitude.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

If you have a bill of sale in your name, these items are legally yours and can be removed by you anytime that you want. You and you alone have rights to these items.

Make sure that you hold on to this bill of sale in case your sister has any questions or future problems.

But in answer to your question, since the bill of sale is in your name, these are your items and you can dispose of them as you see fit.

I hope this helps! If this has helped, please accept so that I may continue to help others as well.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I had already agreed on the answer you gave me. However I was not sure if an arguement could be legally made by my sister. thank you

Thank you for accepting. In answer to your uncertainty about any legal validity on your sister's part the answer is definitely no if you do in fact have the bill of sale. These are legally your items and would be viewed by the court as being on loan to your mother. You are the only one who has any claim whatsoever in this circumstance. If she does try to make an arguement just make sure to produce the bill of sale and this should clear the matter up quickly. I am glad to be of help to you, feel free to visit us again should you need assistance in the future.

Sincerely,

Jennifer