Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

hi ...

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Hello, do you need assistance with a legal question?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes did you read my post?
Hello AdamL1:

There is no other post in your account history. In your account, this is the only post on file.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What Information do you need?
I need your question? To see if I can help you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: I have filed for divorce from my wife- it is in process. She was not a legal citizen when we married. The divorce prevents this from happening. She is still here in the States though-and has passed the NYS bar exam- she is from France. I recently received a w2 form for a job I did not have, and will have to pay the taxes on. It is apparent that she has used my social security # XXXXX get semi legal employment and then cashed these checks through our joint account. All of this was behind my back. Is there any legal action I Can i take against her on this
Thank you for your response AdamL1:

Based on the information you have provided you do have the following recourse actions to take against her:

1) Fraud and theft of your social security. It is unlawful to use someone else's social security to obtain a job or other benefit. You can report the crime to the police. You can also report the fraud to the Office of Inspector General. You can obtain more information here.

2) If she is charged with the crimes of fraud or theft and she will be prosecuted, you can then notify the New York State Bar for disciplinary investigation which may result in her disbarment from the practice of law.

3) You can also report the IRS as to the tax fraud she has committed by using your information.

4) You can also contact the employer to report that she used your social security to get employment as she has defrauded the employer by misrepresenting your social security as yours.

5) As to the cashed checks, since the account was joint she has access to the account. In your divorce you can seek more of the marital assets to compensate for the amount she took from these accounts.

Based on the information you have provided, this is why I see as your course of action.

Don't forget to click Accept for my time and research, thank you.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Let me know if you need further help here. Thanks.