Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I have been receiving child support payments each ...

I have been receiving child support payments each month for the past 11 years, suddendly this month they stopped! What do I need to do? I rely on this monthly payment as part of my monthly budget in raising my daughter. Her father is in the Navy, but I am assuming he must now be out because the payments stopped so abrutly. HELP!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately since he has abruptly stopped payments, you will need to first track his location. If he is still in California, then you need to contact the child support enforcement agency to work on enforcing your orders. If you are working with the agency and they are not able to track him down, then you need to hire a skip tracer (similar to an investigator) and provide the father's contact information to track down his location. If he is in another state, you can register the support order in that state and begin enforcement of the support orders.

Since he is in the Navy, you also need to contact his unit and inquire his status and where he can be found. This is something that the child support enforcement agency may be able to do for you.

Unfortunately right now all you can do is locate his whereabouts and you will need to use the support enforcement agency to track him down. If the support orders have never been registered in another state, then you will need to start with the Enforcement Agency in San Diego, California.

This will take time, if the father is intentionally avoiding to be found.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.