Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

my son and wife had broken up,and i let him move in so

Customer Question

my son and wife had broken up,and i let him move in so he could get ahead (money wise).well they got back together and i let her move in to.it nopw has been over a year,since then they both havent worked in almost the whole the time.now im paying their bills that i co-signed on so i dont trash my credit.I need them out before Im broke.they pay no rent or help with anything.ive ask them to leave but they intentions of going anywhere.please help                                                                                   &nbs p;              steve
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

In eviction process you must first give them notice to vacate. Since they have established residency you will need to give them a 3-7 day notice to vacate. Generally 7 days is recommended but you can by law give them 3 days.

If they have failed to leave within the noted time you will need to go to the local clerk of courts office and file for a eviction. You can pick the forms up at your local law library or purchase them on line. Fill them out and submit them to the clerk of courts office. The clerk will set up a hearing at which time you can request a eviction based on not wishing to renew the lease. The judge will then give them a set time to be out. Generally this is 3-7 days but depending on the situation (Young children, winter, etc) the judge can allow them another 30 days.

If they are not out by the set date the judge orders you can then take the order to your local sheriffs office who can set them out of the home.

I wish you the best,

Walter

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: what if they refuse to sign the notice that i give them.
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

They are not required to sign the notice.........you can send it to them certified mail or deliver it to them in person as long as they get it. Often in these cases some people choose to hire someone such as the sheriffs office to deliver the notice to vacate so they have proof of the person getting the notice.

Walter

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.
Your welcome and I wish you the best.