How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I need to do to get custody of our grandson

Customer Question

His father is in prison for the next 4 years. His mother does not hardly ever come around. We have totally supported / take care of him for the last year and half. CPS told us we can do it without hiring a lawyer.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


You will want to petition the courts for custody based on the best interest of the child. I would advise you to hire a lawyer as they can get a emergency hearing in quickly and see if the judge will grant you custody based on the living arrangements of the child.

If this is not a possibility to hire a lawyer you will need to fill out the forms at your local law library. Fill them out completely and submit them to your local clerk of courts office with the filing fee's. The clerk will help you get the paperwork needed to serve the mother and will set up a hearing for a temporary custody order. Once that is granted the courts will set up a home study and if you are approved it will go back to court for a final order.

I wish you the best,


Walter and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This is a great answer, but the only question I have is 'Where is my local law library'?
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


You can search on line to find a local law library. You can call and ask your local library if they have a law library in your city or if there is a University in your area they often have one as well. If you do not have one in your city call your local clerk of courts and ask if they have the forms for a custody petition. If not your only other recurse is to purchase the forms on line.


Related Family Law Questions