Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

I have primary custody of my 14yr old son...he got ...

I have primary custody of my 14yr old son...he got involved with a girl here in Atlanta- very bad situation and I decided to have him live with his dad in Pittsburg for the rest of the school yr. He now wants to live with his dad in Pittsburg. I ask for 3 months of child support for the summer & 3 plane tickets. My X said no...and would take me to court and have my son go to court too. I am a good Mother...and just need some child support - I am not getting any for him now ...What should I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Who has the child right now?

Are you asking for three months of child support in a settlement for allowing the child to move there?

Walter

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My X has John right now in Pittsburg

I drew up a temporary agreement for 9 mos with no child support for John and 2 plane tickets for him to come see me..that is what is in place now.

We need to change the original custody agreement that states that I get 900.00 per month for John when he was living with me.

I ask for only 3 months of child support when he is living with me in the summers and 3 plane tickets for him to come visit. I thought that this was a fair request.
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

If you can work out a agreement that would be best. Unfortunately whomever has custodial custody is entitled to child support. If he takes custody he is not required by law to pay you child support even when the child is visiting in the summer. The way the courts view summer visitation is the custodial parent must still provide a home for the child and thus is entitled to collect child support even when the child is visiting with the other parent.

I am assuming he is not taking you for child support? If this is the case, you may want to call it even. Since he has the child he is entitled to request child support from you. Something you may want to keep in mind.

I wish I had better news,

Walter