How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask legaleagle Your Own Question

legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got a letter from the Idaho Dept of Health and ...

Customer Question

I just got a letter from the Idaho Dept of Health and Welfare re: my non-custodial son. His mother is opening a case with them. He is about 13 years old. I saw him once when he was a baby. She said at the time, I''m not going to pursue anything, I want this baby, I know you do not. I do not know the current circumstances...could be automatic with a welfare claim, for all I know. I need to know what to do to protect my self. If there are any deadlines I need to know about, possible back child support I may be held to. What do I need to do next to protect myself and my new family.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately if you are proven to be the father the court can order you to pay child support and it can be for up to three years before she filed for suport. So you could already be 3 years behind in payments, but at least you won't be liable for all 13 years of the child's life. You will have to show the court all your earnings and show how many dependents you are supporting so that all that will be considered when the state determines how much your monthly amount should be. This site will give you an estimate of what the amount may be.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Shelley's Post: I still need to know what to do next...Idaho is where claim is being leveled. I live in Georgia, are there any deadlines I need to be aware of to avoid default judgement and present my circumstances (one two year old and my wife is pregnant again) so that I can get a fair do I get in touch with the court/judge? I really do not know what to do next...please help with your answer.
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
The letter should have given you contact information for you to respond to the letter. Was there a deadline in the letter? You should contact the Deptartment and send a reponse in writing to the claims now. Usually you have only 15-30 days to respond.
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience: Practicing attorney for 10 years
legaleagle and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will respond today.
On the letter they sent me, they included a form for insurance info, deadline is Feb 4th...should I send a letter asking for the child's info to add him to my insurance or just respond to the letter and wait to add him until ordered to by the court? Can the ammount paid for the insurance be taken into account?

Also, they have already sent a letter to my employer, asking for vrification of income and medical just my name and asking for them to fill in the social security number...could this be a scam? Is my employer allowed to provide this info without a court order?

Is it a good idea to try to contact the mother? I haven't spoken with her in over ten years. Should I try to negotiate a settlement with her before the court decides or would it be better to have the court take into consideration my 2 kids that live with me? How would I let the court know about any settlement?

I'm sorry, I'm just blindsided right now...I'm going through a foreclosure, my wife is pregnant...then this. My mind is realing. Any direction you can give is appreciated.

I guess I need to pay you again?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.

You do not need to pay again.

You should send in the insurance information today so you can meet the Feb 4th deadline. Your employer should not give out any information without your consent or a court order, especially your social security number.

It would be good to contact the mother and try to come to an agreed amount for support. If you can do so, you would draft an agreement that lays out who the mother is, who the father is, what each of you has as income, and what other dependent's you are providing for. Then state the amount of agreed monthly support you will send to the mother by X date each month. Also that you agree to provide insurance, if you can, if not that she will use the support money to provide insurance for the child. If the amount you agree to is reasonalbe she or you or both can file it with the county court in which the child resides and have the court sign the agreement into a final order binding on both of you.

You can also address visitation if you are wanting to have a relationship with this child.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: