Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.

I have a son who is fifteen (16 in April). I now live

I have a son who is fifteen (16 in April). I now live in California, and he lives in Kentucky with his mother. He wants to move to California to live with me and my family which consists of my wife, our two sons, and his eighteen year old brother (from my marriage with his mother). Will a judge listen to him?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

You will want to petition the courts for custody based on the desires of the child. With his age the judge will talk with him and ask him what he wants and why. While this will not be the deciding factor the judge will take the child's wishes in mind when ruling. I would advise you to hire a lawyer since the distance is so large between the two homes. You would be required to petition in Kentucky as they have jurisdiction over the child. By hiring a lawyer you will prevent unneeded trips out there. Make sure you speak with one from Kentucky.

If this is not a possibility to hire a lawyer you will need to fill out the forms at the following link:Divorce Source: State Specific - Modification Forms for Custody ... Fill them out completely and submit them to your local clerk of courts office with the filing fee's. The clerk will help you get the paperwork needed to serve the mother and will set up a hearing for a temporary custody order.

I wish you the best,