Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.

Id like to petition the family court in Utah for Sole

I'd like to petition the family court in Utah for Sole legal custody of my children. We've been divorced for 10 years and my ex lives in Chicago and has limited (2 - 3 phone calls per year and physical visits every 2 years) contact with the kids by his choice. Will this impact my ability to collect child support or negate my ex's responsibility for costs associated with school tuition or medical costs like glasses or braces?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

You will want to petition the courts for custody based on the best interest of the child. I would advise you to hire a lawyer as they can get a emergency hearing in quickly and see if the judge will grant you custody based on the father not spending adequate time with the children. As far as his responsibility's these will not change with a full custody order. He will still be required to pay child support and such. The visitation may change some but he will still be granted visitation as well.

If this is not a possibility to hire a lawyer you will need to fill out the forms at the following link: Divorce Source: State Specific - Modification Forms for Custody ... Fill them out completely and submit them to your local clerk of courts office with the filing fee's. The clerk will help you get the paperwork needed to serve the father and will set up a hearing for a custody order.

I wish you the best,