Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

what are my rights as a single mother in the state of ohio

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what are my rights as a single mother in the state of ohio? We''ve never been married and the child is in my care.
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

By law if you are a unwed mother you are automatically the custodial parent. You are not required to allow the father visitation rights unless he petitions the courts for them. (Not saying that is a good it may be good for the child to see his father).

You are eligible for child support services which you can go to child support enforcement agency and request support services. They can get the father in and set up a child support plan to help you support your child.

I wish you the best,