legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years

My husband left me in 2000 . I purchased divorce papers ...

My husband left me in 2000 . I purchased divorce papers online . I do not know where he is now so I cannot et him to sign them. How do I go about fileing the papers? Can I file by mail? Do I need a lawyer to represent me? There are no children, property or posessions. I know that in some states it is possiable to file and obtain a divorce entirely online. Is this possiable in Houston Texas?

You can file for divorce on the grounds of abandonment and then you do not need his signature. You simply file the papers with the county court in your county where you reside. You should take the papers to the clerk's office and they can direct you as to when the judge will sign the papers. You can not do this online in Texas, but you can do it on your own without an attorney.

Texas Familly Code Section § 6.005. ABANDONMENT. The court may grant a divorce in favor of one spouse if the other spouse:
(1) left the complaining spouse with the intention of abandonment; and
(2) remained away for at least one year.