Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.

My husband and I were married in March 2002. He is a Govt ...

Customer Question

My husband and I were married in March 2002. He is a Govt employee working as a Psychologist at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.He still claims residency in Florida since he still maintains his Psychologist license there. I am living in Hawaii but have not changed my residency from Florida. Can I file for divorce in Florida and it be under jurisdiction in Olkahoma? In other words, Does Florida have jurisdiction in Oklahoma? Thank You.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

If you still have residency in Florida then yes you can file for divorce in Florida and they will have jurisdiction over the divorce. Just because he lives in Oklahoma doesn't mean the Florida courts would not have jurisdiction.

The state at least one party resides in for at least 6 months can take jurisdiction over the divorce if it was filed in that state prior to him filing in Oklahoma.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for a quick response. This is a timely matter.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am sorry but I honestly can't afford any more at this time.
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.
Thank you and I wish you the best in the new year........there is no need to pay anymore.