Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

my husband left myself and our 2 children for my best ...

Customer Question

my husband left myself and our 2 children for my best friend. what are his rights in regards XXXXX XXXXX children? Does he have the right to take the children at any time, or see them? Or am I able to make all decisions until there is a parenting plan in place?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Absent any court orders in place, both parents have the same legal rights to custody/visitation. However, as the mother of the children you are under no legal obligation to give him any custody or visitation until a court order is in place. Only with a court order will you be able to enforce your parenting rights if he were to deny returning the children to you.

If you have not yet done, so you can file for custody of your children and seek temporary orders while you work on a parenting arrangement with the father. That way, you have a court order in place that you can enforce should the father take the children and refuse to return the children.

If there is a risk that the father will take the children and not return them, you should not release the children to him without a court order.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Let me know if you need further help with this issue. Thanks.