Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

My ex-wife is an alcoholic and lost her job and is now ...

Customer Question

My ex-wife is an alcoholic and lost her job and is now claiming that I should pay a high child support payment because she no longer works. Can she do that?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
When a parent loses a job, whether the primary or non-custodial parent, they can file for a modification review hearing to ask for more support if they can prove that support is needed for the child's best interest. Whether it will be a "high" support will depend on the court's discretion and not the mother and it will depend on your current income and how much you can afford and not what the mother wants.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.