Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

Im a grandparent that has been raise my grandchild

I''m a grandparent that has been raise my grandchild and i''m looking for custody papers to do myself.my daughter will sign for me to get custody. where do i go that won''t cost me $,except for filing
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
What you are looking to do is petition the court for guardianship of the child. You can read more about this issue here.

According to the website, you must have an attorney prepare the petition for appointment of guardianship. It does not appear that you can handle this on your own. The website does further provide that it is possible for the mother to give you a temporary (good for one year) power of attorney to take care of the child. This might be something you may wish to consider while you see if you can afford an attorney.

I would also suggest you visit your county's law library to see if there are any forms for guardianship as the Oregon court website does not list any forms for guardianship or custody. Typically these are motions an attorney prepares from scratch as they are complex issues to just petition in a court form.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.