Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

My 17 year old (she will be 18 in April) has decided she ...

My 17 year old (she will be 18 in April) has decided she does not want to be grounded and accept respoinsibility for her actions. She is a senior in high school and has run away. However, we know she is going to her job as a hostess at a local restaurant and we know she is staying with friends and plans to finish high school. We have been through a lot with her and we know that dragging her home she will just leave again. What are we legally responsible to do? She is currently supposed to be living with her dad (she has been since last January). Prior to that she was with her mom for a couple of years and prior to that we were married and she lived with both parents. Both parents live within a couple of miles of each other and have been attempting to parent together. What has happened is she has been unsuccessful playing us against each other yet again and now is telling her employer, friends'' parents, etc. half truths and lies and we are at a loss as to what to do. Indiana
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

She would have to be 18 years of age for emancipation from ones parent in all US States this would include moving out. She must be 18 to legally move from her parents property unless she gets emancipated by a court of law which isn't easy to do. She would need to petition the courts for emancipation and if her parents do not consent it is unlikely this would be approved.

You are still legally responsible for her until she is 18. If she leaves and you fail to report her as a run away you can be held liable for any actions and for any incidents she has. Should she become hurt while away you could be charged with neglect as well.

Here is a link with further information on the subject:

Emancipation of Minors - All US States

Walter

Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience: Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.