Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

My youngest daughter(7),her father has a problem with me ...

My youngest daughter(7),her father has a problem with me leaving her home with her older sister(11) of a different man,every once in a while.Neither one of us have custody.He was angry and sounded like he was going to try something to take her from me.He is married. I am not. What can happen???
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

He has the right to petition the courts for custody of the child for neglect on your part. He would have to prove that the older child is not caring for his child properly. There are state laws that require children to be emotional capable of watching a younger child. Not all states have these laws but even those who do not most often would not agree with a 11 year old babysitting a 7 year old. Typically 13 is the accepted age to babysit.....though in the end it will be up to the judge.

I would advise you in the meantime to not allow the 11 year old to abbysit any longer to prevent a problem in the courts.

Walter