Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

what is the age a teenager can legally move out of his ...

what is the age a teenager can legally move out of his parents home in Texas?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

That would be 18 years of age for emancipation from ones parent in all US States including Texas this would include moving out. He must be 18 to legally move from his parents property unless he gets emancipated by a court of law which isn't easy to do. He would need to petition the courts for emancipation and if his parents do not consent it is unlikely this would be approved.

You are still legally responsible for him until he is 18. If he leaves and you fail to report him as a run away you can be held liable for any actions and for any incidents he has. Should he become hurt while away you could be charged with neglect as well.

Here is a link with further information on the subject:

Emancipation of Minors - All US States

Walter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: I was under the impression that when you reach the age of seventeen, you had the "right" to move out of your parents home... is this not true? Do you have to have permission to move out? IF a child is living with his parent in one state and another parent is living in another state... would the child have to have permission from both parents or one to move in with the parents of one of his friends?
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

The legal age of majority for the state is 18. Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Title 5, Chapter 129

The 17-years of age pertains to two other issues, the age at which the person may have consensual sex, and the age at which a person can be tried as an adult for certain criminal offenses. Texas law enforcement will not get involved in a situation where a minor leaves home w/o parental permission, until that person's parents or guardian file a request and receive a order of requisition from the court to have the minor returned to their custody or the custody of juvenile authorities. Furthermore, any person(s) who aid a minor in such circumstances such as allowing them to live in their home, renting them a room, assisting in transportation, etc. can be held criminally and civilly responsible for contributing to the delinquency of said minor. (TS/TFC Title 2) .

Walter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so, if a child receives permission from one of the parent's is it lawful for him to move out? Or is he obligated to receive permission from both parents?
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

He can move out with permission from the parent who has coustody.....but bear in mind if something happens to him you will be held responsible for it. If both parents have joint custody then permission will be needed by both parents.

He can not legally by law move out..........the above information just means the police will not make him come home. That doesn't mean that if he gets in trouble out there you are off the hook. Should he become hurt you can be charged with neglect.

Walter

Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience: Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.