Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

In Lancaster County, a child has been in numerous scrapes ...

In Lancaster County, a child has been in numerous scrapes with the law, quit school, has a job, moved out of parents home into a home that the parents don''t know the individual....child has filed a PFA against father.   Adult individual child is living with has filed for support. will parents be responsible for support until the child turns 18?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

If this person has been granted custody of the child then yes the parents will be required to pay child support until the child is the age of majority in that state.

The age of majority in PA is now 18 or graduation from high school whichever occurs later (23 PA CS section 4321). It does not occur automatically.

Walter

Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience: Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: PA support law states the a person may file for support on behalf of a minor child by a person having custody of the child regardless of whether a court order has been issued granting that person custody --- should parents request the child be emancipated?
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

If they have physical custody of the child (He is living with them) then yes they can file for child support for the child.

You have the right to try and get him emancipated. This would prevent the issues with child support. The main problem I see with getting this approved is he has quit school and had trouble in the past. The courts prefer to only grant emancipation to a child that has shown he is cable of caring for himself. Living with friends and not getting stable will not show the courts he is mature enough for emancipation.

Here is a link with further information on the subject:

Emancipation of Minors - All US States

Walter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Even if the child has a job?
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

The job will help to show he is self sufficient but is not reason enough to grant a emancipation. Keep in mind even irresponsible children can find a job. In the end it will be up to the judge to decide if the child is stable and mature enough to grant a emancipation.

Walter