Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

Texas Adoption Law

Can a grandmother file for adoption of grandchild she has custody of without terminating the legal father's rights. The mother is willing to sign voluntary termination paperwork, the grandfather is about to retire and can receive social security benefits for step child. Can the grandmother adopt without letting the legal father know about this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately it does not work that way.

Both parents' parental rights must be terminated for the child to be freed for adoption. Both parent's must be notified of the termination of parental rights. Father will need to be notified.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.