Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

My ex husband and I have been divorced for some time now.

Customer Question

My ex husband and I have been divorced for some time now. In my divorce decree it states that he may calim our son on his tax returns every other year. However, he is in the arrage for child support in the excess amount of $16000.00 do i have to let him claim our son on his taxes?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Yes, you are obligated to follow the court order as stated.

Since he is in arrears you need to file a motion for contempt to enforce child support obligations. If you want to change the terms of the divorce decree that will require filing a motion to show cause requesting modification of the terms in your divorce. You may also be able to change it in contempt hearing for your child support, but it will be up to the judge.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.