Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.

i am a grandparent ,who has been in the dcs system 18 years ...

Customer Question

i am a grandparent ,who has been in the dcs system 18 years ago,now my grandchildren are in their hands and they say because i was in their system before ,i can''t have them,according to federal law they say,PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ?DEPARTMENT of CHILDRENS SERVICES
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

If you could answer a few questions I will try to help you today.

What were you in the system for in the past?

If your children were removed why were they removed?

Did you ever get them back?

Were you ever charged with a crime?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
for neglect of my children,because i was not being the responsible parent that i should have been,yes i did get them back.if my memory serves me right no i was not charged with a fact the only thing on my record right now is 1 failure to appear,from like 15 years ago.
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Since your children were removed from the home due to neglect Federal Law would prevent you from gaining custody of them. The law requires them to place the children with someone that has never been involved with a crime toward a child. Since the children were removed due to neglect they could not place the grandchild with you even if the wanted to.

While you can hire a lawyer to petition the courts for you, in the end you will not win.

I am sorry, I wish I had better news. I know how difficult all this must be for you. We all make bad decisions in life, but sadly there is little you can do to change this.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.
Your welcome and I wish you the best.