Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.

My husbands 12 year old daughter is going to be

My husband''s 12 year old daughter is going to be coming to live with us after living with her mother whom we have been paying child support. The mother does not want to pay child support and we do not require that from her financially however, is that our decision to make or is that the right of the child that we cannot take away? We live in British Columbia, Canada.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

It is each parents right to choose if they want child support or not. While it is not required in Canada the judge will ask you to think about it. Even if you do not want it consider placing a portion of the money into a savings account. Keep in mind 12 year olds always need some spare cash for things so speak to the mother and ask her if she would consider paying a portion of child support so that the child may keep it as spending money.

In the end it is your choice if you want it or not. The courts will not force you to take child support.