How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Walter Your Own Question
Walter, Legal Consultant
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11528
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Walter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husbands 12 year old daughter is going to be

Resolved Question:

My husband''s 12 year old daughter is going to be coming to live with us after living with her mother whom we have been paying child support. The mother does not want to pay child support and we do not require that from her financially however, is that our decision to make or is that the right of the child that we cannot take away? We live in British Columbia, Canada.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.


It is each parents right to choose if they want child support or not. While it is not required in Canada the judge will ask you to think about it. Even if you do not want it consider placing a portion of the money into a savings account. Keep in mind 12 year olds always need some spare cash for things so speak to the mother and ask her if she would consider paying a portion of child support so that the child may keep it as spending money.

In the end it is your choice if you want it or not. The courts will not force you to take child support.


Walter and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you