How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I were to marry someone that has a wage attachment ...

Resolved Question:

If I were to marry someone that has a wage attachment for child support, would I have a wage attachment for myself to pay child support for his boy. I heard of the happening to someone at work.
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
No, a step-parent is not financially responsible for the child support of their step-children. The only time the court will order a step-parent to pay would be if the step-parent prevented the biological parent from seeing their child, adopted the child or agreed to be bound for child support.

You can read a summary about this in the links below:

Christensen v. Chrsitensen in holding that a step father who acquiesced in the mother's efforts to keep the child from seeing the biological father and from seeking child support from the biological father was responsible for child support.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you