Walter
Walter, Legal Consultant
Experience:  Family Law Consultant Specializing In Interpretation Of Family and General Law.
997364

My 12 year old was driven to church by his father at speeds ...

My 12 year old was driven to church by his father at speeds of 105 mph on a rural two lane highway in New Mexico. what are the legal ramifications of this situation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

Who has custody of the child?

How do you know the speed........was he issued a ticket?

Are you seeking custody based on this or a change in the original order?

Walter

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
We never went through courts but 7 years ago agreed in mediation for me to be the primary caregiver. My son"s dad only has him during the day on Sundays>
I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE INCIDENT FROM MY SON AND HIS DAD ON CHRISTMAS EVE IN FRONT OF EXTENDED FAMILY> LATER MY SON GAVE ME A DETAILED ACCOUNT OF PASSING CARS AND HEADING INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC> HE ALSO SAID THE CAR WAS AIRBORN ON ONE SIDE AROUND A MOUNTAIN CURVE>
I DON"T WANT TO OVER OR UNDER REACT>
Expert:  Walter replied 9 years ago.

This was in fact a bad parental choice.........there is no doubt about that. Wither is is enough to change the agreement you came to 7 years ago or not is another matter all together. Since you originally took this to mediation this may be your best next step. You must decide what you want to do about this situation.

To be honest it is unlikely the judge will change the visitation order over this. He would likely order dad to parenting classes and likely give him a sound lecture.

Walter