Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

How is child support and alimony figured

My daughter has 3 children ages; 12 and under. She has been married for 19 years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
1) Child support. That is calculated based on the income of both parents. She will need to have income information on hand to calculate a an estimated support amount. She can do that here. Again support is based on a percentage of the parent's income, the period of time each have custody, who will be paying day care, etc...

The support guidelines of Arizona (here) will explain the process.

2) Alimony. There is no guideline for alimony as there is for child support. This is determined on a case by case basis based on the following factors presented by the court. First the court must determine if there is need for support and if so, how much. Need would be determined based on the income that the mother is earning or is capable of earning. How much would depend on the standard of living for the past 19 years of their marriage. If the husband was paying a certain amount for the last four months before he changed his mind that factor can be presented to the court to show that husband is capable of paying that amount and that wife was comfortable with that amount.

Again for alimony there is no calculator or guideline to provide an amount as this is all case by case determined. You can review the factors considered for Arizona here.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.