Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

i am a resident of sweaden.i married a guy from the states ...

i am a resident of sweaden.i married a guy from the states about 2 months ago.he lives there and i live here.i want a divorce but he will not send it to me.i only knew him for 2 weeks and made a mistake.what can i do to get a divorce if he will not send the papers?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
As he is a resident of the state, you can hire an attorney in the state and have them file the divorce on your behalf. The attorney will have him served. If he refuses to answer the petition then you will be able to get a default divorce and get everything you request in your divorce petition.

Since you are in another country, it will be best to have a family law attorney do this for you, that way you avoid the expense of traveling back and forth as your attorney would be able to represent you in most of the hearings.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: i really cant afford an attorney,is there a way to do it without one?
You can file for the divorce yourself, you will need the forms but unfortunately the Missouri court website does not have these forms online. You can also purchase a "how to" book specific for Missouri, which will contain all court forms and instructions. However you will still need to hire a process server to serve and file the documents for you. You will have to pay for the filing and process server, that can be some where from $200.00 to $500.00. If he is going to contest this, then it might take some period of time to get your divorce finalize.

However, if he is agreeable to the divorce the, you can use the following service by legal zoom.com to do the paperwork for an "un-contested divorce", then you would have to hire a process server to serve and file the paperwork . More information about these services here.

Since this was two months ago your divorce will not be complex.