Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

my 16yr old daughter is pregnant and is going to raise the ...

my 16yr old daughter is pregnant and is going to raise the baby, what legal rights does the dad of the baby have in the stae of colorado?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 9 years ago.
Once the baby is born the father has the same legal rights as the mother in asking for custody or visitation of the child. As the parents are not married, before the father can ask for custody or visitation, paternity will have to be established and then the father will have to petition the court for custody or visitation if the mother is not allowing the father to see the child. The father is also by law legally financial responsible for the child's child support and prenatal expenses that your daughter incurred while pregnant. If the father is not employed, the court has the discretion to suspend his support order until the father is employed and then the support will apply retroactively.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: what about the rights of his mother
Thank you for your response.

Grandparent's do not have any automatic rights over their grandchildren, not to visit or get custody unless they petition the court for such rights. Absent any court orders his mother has no say in the matter.