Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I am recently married and live in Florida. My now wife had ...

I am recently married and live in Florida. My now wife had a bad debt for a car loan prior to marrige. Now that we are married can I be liable for the debt she incurred previously?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
No, debt incurred before the marriage is considered your spouse's separate property and you are not responsible for those debts unless you co-signed on the loan or agreed to be bound to the lender.

Please accept my answer for the work I have provided you and to close this window. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate information. Thank you.