Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Many years of outpatient practice managing eye injuries and common disorders
18722459

I sprayed rubbing alcohol in my right eye. I have flushed 5

Customer Question

I sprayed rubbing alcohol in my right eye. I have flushed 5 minutes with saline solution. Eye is red and a bit painful. Vision in fine. Do I need to go to urgent care?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I sprayed rubbing alcohol in my right eye. I have flushed 5 minutes with saline solution. Eye is red and a bit painful. Vision in fine. Do I need to go to urgent care?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome I'm Dr Chip

Nothing too serious here so long as you flushed it

There's going to be some inflammation to the conjunctiva from this for the rest of the day but the redness should clear by tomorrow

If it doesn't then you'd need antibiotic eye drops to cover for a potential infection but the alcohol itself won't cause any permanent damage to your eye

Please let me know if you need any more information