Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have bletharospasm, very severe case. What i want to know

Customer Question

I have bletharospasm, very severe case. What i want to know is, has ECT ever been tried.? You know, to reset the brain.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: To type this I must hold my eyes open Have seen several doctors. presently botox injections every 3 months. Effectiveness is waning.
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: vision, ok with my glasses. checked last year.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: chronic pain on pain pump for 3 years
Category: Eye
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating all neurological & health conditions including blepharospasm and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Sorry to see you are suffering from very severe blepharospasm and the treatments are not helping you.

Botulinum toxin is considered as the best treatment for blepharospasm but in your case this treatment too is not helping you now, which indicates you are suffering from very severe and medically refractory blepharospasm

Since it is not responding to the standard treatments including the botox which is the best available treatment for this condition so we need to explore rare modes of treatments that may help you. In this regard ECT is certainly a consideration.

To your question, “What i want to know is, has ECT ever been tried.?” Yes, it has been tried. But it is not commonly tried for this condition so this is certainly an extremely rare form of treatment for your condition. But there is literature available for at least one case of blepharospasm patient who had been treated with ECT and this patient had improved, so this is certainly encouraging.

I will post the link to the article of this case below here;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17804995

Considering that you have tried the standard treatments including the botox which is the best treatment for blepharospasm but all in vain which implies you are having very severe form of blepharospasm so we need to explore the possibility of trying rare treatments for your condition and in this regard you may consider ECT, and it did help a patient with blepharospasm so you may explore this treatment option to get relief from the very severe blepharospasm you are tortured with.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Neuro Doctor

Hi, do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Best Regards!