Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Experience:  Many years of outpatient practice managing eye injuries and common disorders
18722459

Yesterday when I woke up I started seeing some black specs,

Customer Question

Hi. Yesterday when I woke up I started seeing some black specs, which I know are common especially as we age. I have seen them a few times before but not this many and I realized it was just in my left eye. My right eye is fine. Later in the day I started seeing small flashes of light but only when I blinked and not consistently. Both the spots and the flashes are here again today. Will this clear up or do I need to see my ophthalmologist. I am diabetic and had cataracts remove 7 years ago after I was diagnosed with uncontrolled diabetes. I have NO eye problems since the cataracts were removed and no eye pain or consistent floaters. I haven’t seen floaters for years. I am quite concerned. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

Hellos and welcome I'm Dr Chip

While floaters are common at your age, two things worry me here--so many showing up so quickly and the flashes of light. That well could mean a partially detached retina and I have to urge you to see an ophthalmologist right away--your sight is too important to ignore what's going on here.

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What would cause a partially detached retina and if that is the problem how can I help it until Monday when the Dr is in AND how will they fix it? Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

It can just happen without any trauma

There's nothing you can do for it and I strongly suggest you not wait until Monday to get it checked out--get to the ER

It can be fixed with a laser

Please remember to rate my service to you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much. I called my ophthalmologist office and they called back just a few minutes ago. They had me do a test covering my right eye and doing my fingers extended out and going clock wise in a circle and I could see all of it as I go around. I described every thing and she asked me more questions and said it sounds like vitreous detachment and to come in first thing Monday morning. If anything changes I am to call them back asap. I called them because you told me I should seek help right away and I thank you for that advice. Lord willing, it will be ok. I don;t know much about a vitreous detachment but I will come Monday. Thank you again. Have a great night and a Merry Christmas.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 months ago.

My pleasure and take care