Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Went to hosp today with my mum. Had cataract removed 3 weeks

Customer Question

Went to hosp today with my mum . Had cataract removed 3 weeks ago .Dr was not helpful at all. My
Mum could not even see the numbers thy put up on wall . Cornea swelling has
Gone down a bit . Will
Removing the cataract not give her vision back ?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 days ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 days ago.

Cataract surgery will improve the vision that was previously affected by the cataract. The vision abnormalities not related to the lens will not be improved however. On the other hand, it can take up to 3 to 4 weeks for the vision to improve completely. No two patients are the same so recovery is also variable. But the vision should start improving by now since it has been three weeks.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We asked but tgey said there no other abnormality in the eyeHowever the cataract was 8/9 years old they said which was large, brown n dense. They said it matured in there .But today even when numbers were put up on a wall fairly close she could not see
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
There is a bit cornea swelling but that they say is result of pressure being Applied after the op as cataract was dense and big
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 days ago.

Alright, then it should get better given the time for the swelling to settle.

If you have not seen your Ophthalmologist yet for this then I suggest that you do that. Sometimes, the primary surgeon can give more information than ER physicians or urgent care doctors.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Why would bit cornea swelling affect vision ? We saw surgeon opthalmoslogist at hosp today the person that operated on her .Concern is she could not even read numbers 3 weeks post op .is this normal ?Coujd the cataract have damaged her eye as is was in there very long time and was large and dense
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 days ago.

No, that is not normal. The case may be that the vision was not affected due to the cataract only and there might be other conditions at play here which might need attention. The corneal swelling will not cause such a severe affect on vision. Her doctor has the privilege of examining her so he should be able to tell you what the problem is, if not, then it will serve best to get a second opinion.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on the top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The dr has confirmed there no other eye condition . That y we are confussed as to why vision still not good despite cataract removed ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 days ago.

The problems that can cause this are:

Retinal detachment, dislocation of the intraocular lens and clouding of the portion of the lens covering (capsule) that remains after surgery, often called aftercataract (posterior capsular opacification). This is usually not a big problem and can be treated with laser surgery, if needed. The type of IOL may affect how likely it is to have clouding after surgery.

Please discuss these with her doctor.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 days ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.