Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Anti-Bacterial hand sanitizer got directly in my eye. And in

Customer Question

Anti-Bacterial hand sanitizer got directly in my eye. And in the corner of my eye there is a clear gel and its color red constantly. I am taking Dr Cycline antibiotic and I am Sustain restore drops in my eye. Is there anything else and I am doing I'm home or do I need to see an Eye Doctor. Is their an Over the Counter antibiotic?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 16 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear of your eye problem. If the area you are referring to is near your nose, then that is normal. If you don't have any blurred vision or pain in your eye, continue to use the Sustain as you have been. There are no over the counter antibiotics for the eye, but I don't think you need one. You may just have some irritation from the hand sanitizer. Wash your eye with cool water now and continue for 20 minutes. That should remove any sanitizer from your eye. Unless you have a change in your vision or burning eye pain, there is no reason to get medical attention.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Dr. Stan the gel looking substance in the corner, I assume it is conjunctiva, that is normal?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
it is moveable
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
it is burning
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 16 days ago.

Yes, the area in the corner next to your nose is normally red and it will move. The burning should not be present and is a result of irritation from the sanitizer. Wash your eye with clear cool water, if still burning after 10-15 minutes go to an Urgent Care Center for evaluation and treatment. For now, stop using the Sustain drops.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This happened yesterday at 5pm. The corner is burning mildly but not unbearable, is that normal?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
watering
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I know it isnt normal, it is not a severe burn, I mean should I go to the emergency with it or just keep washing it out.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
do need a photo
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
do you need a photo
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will leave feedback after this -here is a photo- hopefully it is just irritated. Please advise.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 16 days ago.

Reviewed picture which shows irritation. Since you have this for almost 24 hours, you will need prescription steroids with antibiotic to cause healing. Go to Emergency Department before any permanent damage occurs.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 15 days ago.

How is your eye? Did you seek medical attention?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 14 days ago.

I hope you are feeling better and the burning in your eye has stopped. If I have helped, please provide a positive rating of 5 stars. Thank you.