Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My 89 year old mother has been seeing dots for a few years.

Customer Question

My 89 year old mother has been seeing dots for a few years. She thinks it started after her knee replacemwnt surgery five years ago. Lots of tests but nobody can find anything abnormal. What cam cause it, and are there any treatments that might help?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling. She thinks the 2000 mg of calcium per day she was prescribed to build the density in her bones made it worse
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No real physical ailments. Pretty good health for near 90. The spots dont cause any pain, and she no longer drives. But the dots are causing some anciety ffir her that there could be something more serious
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Do these move around when she moves her eyes from side to side or up and down?