Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am seeing a circular rainbow around street lights at

Customer Question

hello there I am seeing a circular rainbow around street lights at night. This is only in one eye and I have only noticed this tonight should I be concerned
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: less than 4 weeks ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have always had good vision I dont wear glasses.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology and retina surgery experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

How old are you?

M/F?

Is this with and without your glasses?

Do you see this rainbow around headlights or other point light sources?

Do you have difficulty with glare?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
32
- F
- I've just noticed tonight and its street lights. First time today. Last night was fine.
- A little this afternoon
- No medical problems
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will prefer to type...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

Well, it could be caused by a lot of different issues....anything from dry eyes, allergies, blepharitis, inflammation inside your eye (you would have other symptoms), glaucoma, cataracts, macular disease....

Some of these are no big deal.

Yes. I am typing....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

some of them could be serious.

Without out examining you there is no way to sort them all out.

That being said, the less severe end of the differential diagnosis list is more than likely what is going on...

So. What is the take home message?

I suggest you see an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) for a complete eye exam. I could give you some home treatments for things like dry eyes or blepharitis but, to tell the truth, I believe you would be better served to see an eye MD.

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

I wish our system would let you know when the other person is typing like so many other chat programs do ;)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. I noticed the irritation i my right eye between yesterday and today. During the day I kept thinking I may have something in my eye but this evening I noticed rainbow looking into headlights. I washed my eye with salt water and then I noticed afterwards a circular rainbow around street lights. I've since been to the pharmacy and washed with eye bath solution. It didnt make much difference at first. Although I'm indoors the glare in my right eye seems a bit better.Lastly if I was dealing with a cataract issue wouldn't my optician have picked up on that a few weeks ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello just checking that you're still there?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

Still here :) just finishing up afternoon clinic....

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

You may have a corneal ulcer.

I'd try to see an eye doctor today, even if you have to see an optometrist (OD) in the mall.

Better safe than sorry.

Make sense?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. I will I was just wondering if it was a cataract will the optician not have seen something when they took an image of the back of my eye?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can the corneal ulcer be simply treated... If I see an optometrist tomorrow afternoon after 2pm as its now 21.44pm over here. will this be too late to do so.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OR Is this an emergency type of situation?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there. Should I be worried that this is an emergency?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 month ago.

Hi...sorry, I am on call and had to go see a patient in the ER and ended up going to the operating room....

Yes, a corneal ulcer would be an emergency. Unfortunately, most ER doctors are not really trained to treat or diagnose them...

Since it is so late in the UK you could just be seen first thing in the morning. I'd not want you to wait until 2 pm....

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick MD FACS