Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have had two iron infusion as well as one blood

Customer Question

I have had two iron infusion as well as one blood transfusion (2 units) in the past ten days.
In the past 48 hours I have developed extreme intolerance to temperatures.
I have been sweating profusely (more when I am asleep to the point that my sheets are completely soaked within two hours).
I am shaking and breathing shallow because I am shaking so much.
The whites of my eyes are very pink. Almost red. And I am having blurred vision.
I have had difficulty swallowing on and off.
I have a headache.
According to my wrist blood pressure unit, my blood pressure is a little over normal for me. But not too bad.
I do not know if I have a fever or not.
Am I getting sick from the procedures?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed an infection. This can be a bloodstream infection if you dont have any other obvious site of infection. The sweating as well as headaches alongwith the shaking can all indicate that you could be developing a fever. Now this can certainly be due to the iron infusions or even due to the blood transfusion. Sometimes there is a delayed reaction to teh blood products however that is usually delayed by 24 hours at the most. However it is possible that you could have gotten an infection because of the blood itself.

Now given your current situation i would strongly recommend that you proceed IMMEDIATELY to the urgent care center and have this evaluated. Im worried that you do have an infection and you may develop sepsis if it is left untreated. The shallow breathing, shaking, sweating all worry me especially. This is why i would STRONGLY recommend a visit to the ER or urgent care center ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

You need to get the following tests done,

CBC/ESR

COmplete metabolic profile including liver functions, renal functions, electrolytes

Blood culture

Urine examination

Urine culture

In the meantime, check to see if your temperature is too high or too low, that can indicate an infection also try using OTC tylenol which should control some of the symptoms but i do feel you need to have this evaluated quickly.

Do you have any more questions?