Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My eyelid turned black and blue without reason. Now the

Customer Question

My eyelid turned black and blue without reason. Now the black and blue has doubled in size over the last two days.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is your eyelid swollen at all?
Customer: Not swollen and I awoke Tuesday morning to the bruised eyelid. My eye doctor is booked solid and I am awiting a call back from my primary doctor
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have allergies, high blood pressure
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask are you on any blood thinners? Is your blood pressure controlled? Do you have a picture of the eye which you can attach here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no blood thinners and I am on blood pressure meds, claritan D, singular and sythroid

Thank you for the additional information.

Well from what you are describing it sounds like that there are two options here. One is that you could have suffered some minor trauma while you slept which ruptured a minor blood vessel of the eye lid which has led to accumulation of blood underneath the skin in the area. If the vision is not impaired along with the bruising then this is unlikely to be a serious matter. The best thing to do here is to apply warm compresses on the area which will help in clearing up the bruising over time. Apart form the minor trauma another possibility is that of an insect bite which can sometimes lead to bruising like this. Since you are using claritin D already then only the warm compresses are needed at this time

Secondly, it is possible that you have developed a bleeding disorder which can cause spontaneous bleeding underneath the skin. I would keep this as a secondary possibility especially since you have not mentioned bruising on any other site of teh body. if you do have bruising on any other site which has appeared spontaneously, then the chances of this are increased. However it would be wise to get a CBC, PT PTT INR tests done along with a CT and BT test. This would allow us eto determine if there is a problem with the clotting system of the body.

For now i would suggest the warm compresses until you get in to see your PCP, the eye doctor would not be necessary UNLESS you have problems with vision, watering from the eye, redness of the eye or discharge from the eye. Otherwise this is minor bruising which can be dealt with easily by your PCP. Do see him though as i would advise getting the tests done just to be on the safe side.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

One more thing which i forgot to mention is that singulair can also cause spontaneous bruising in some people, at any location of the body. This can be one of the causes which can be considered if the above are ruled out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am taking a photo and will try to upload
Thanks

Thank you for the picture,

Ok so the bruising is minor and it is not causing any swelling so i think this is not anything too serious. Also have you noticed that there is some minor swelling around your left eye or has it always been like that? if that is new do have your doctor look into this issue as well as periorbital edema can be indicative of many underlying conditions. I would suspect singulair is culprit here if the other problems are ruled out and if so it should be stopped for short period of time and then restarted after some time. Or it can be substituted for another drug.

Do you have any more questions?